Social Justice Symposium
Tools for Change: Awareness, Advocacy, and Activism.
About the Symposium
The Social Justice Symposium is a one day conference designed to create conversation around three core aspects of social justice: awareness, advocacy and activism. This event will take place February 24, 2018 in the MU Student Center. The day’s schedule will include a keynote speaker, lunch, and multiple breakout sessions that could address topics like ethnicity, culture, multiculturalism, women’s advocacy, LGBTQ advocacy, gender, ability, serving our veteran student population, and sustainability. The symposium is FREE to Mizzou students that register for the conference. Due to venue capacity, registration will be capped at 120 attendees.
- Symposium date: February 24, 2018
- Program proposals accepted until Nov. 10, 2017 at 11:59 p.m.
- Attendee registration opens Nov. 3, 2017 and closes Jan. 27, 2018
Attend the Symposium
Participants must register in advance in order to attend the Social Justice Symposium. Attendee registration opens November 10, 2017 and closes January 27, 2018. Late additions and day of registration will not be accepted. Register to attend.
Present at the Symposium
Are you interested in presenting at the Social Justice Symposium? We aim to select a diverse group of presenters, presentation styles and presentation topics. Program proposal submissions close November 18, 2017 at 11:59 PM. Presenters will be notified of their selection by December 12, 2017. Please submit your proposal.
Sponsor the Symposium
If you or your organization would like to be a 2017 Social Justice Symposium sponsor, please contact Sean Olmstead at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We would like to thank the following 2016 SJS sponsors: the Residence Hall Association (RHA), the MU Counseling Center, the National Residence Hall Honorary (NRHH), Chancellor’s Diversity Initiative (CDI), College of Education, and Student Activities.
The Social Justice Symposium is a collaboration between the Department of Residential Life, the Office of Student Engagement, the Gaines/Oldham Black Culture Center, the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer Resource Center, the Multicultural Center, the Relationship and Sexual Violence Prevention Center, and the Women’s Center.
Past Keynote Speakers
- 2018 – To be announced soon!
- 2017 – Dr. Marcia Chatelain, Associate Professor of History and African American Studies at Georgetown University (keynote)
- 2015 – Airick Leonard West – Community360 Director
- 2015 – Payton Head, MSA President, University of Missouri (opening keynote)
- 2014 – Dr. Treva Lindsey, Assistant Professor of Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies at The Ohio State University (closing keynote)
- 2014 – Danica Wolf, Coordinator of the Relationship and Sexual Violence Prevention Center at the University of Missouri (opening keynote)
- 2013 – Ryan Sallans, public speaker, author, and consultant specializing in healthcare, campus inclusion, and workplace issues surrounding the LGBTQ community
- 2012 – Dwight Lavender, Group Manager of Diversity and Inclusion for Target Corporation (Mizzou alum)